We all love a guilt-free protein ball treat don’t we?! These chocolate protein balls made with Matcha Maiden are sure to satisfy your sweet tooth and chocolate cravings. They are gluten free, refined sugar free and fructose free (as unlike a lot of protein ball recipes this version doesn’t contain dates or sweeteners containing fructose), making them friendly for Celiacs and those on a low FODMAP diet.
Whats the deal with Matcha anyway?
Matcha is a powdered green tea consumed in Japan during traditional tea ceremonies for hundreds of years as well as consumed by Monks to help with meditation. Matcha is becoming a bit of a trend superfood but for good reason! It’s health benefits include:
- High in antioxidants – an antioxidant powerhouse with up to 137x the antioxidants of green tea; fighting ageing and chronic disease. Specifically the Catechin antioxidant ECG is responsible for fighting cancer.
- Enhances calm, boosts memory and concentration – rich in the essential amino acid L-Theanine which promotes calm as well as boosts the production of dopamine and serotonin to improve mood, memory and better concentration.
- Detoxifies the body – rich in chlorophyll which promotes detoxification and cleanses the body.
- Increases metabolism, energy and endurance – Matcha contains a small amount of caffeine as well as L-Theanine which can increase metabolism, assist in burning fat and increase energy and endurance levels!
Matcha Maiden Protein Balls
- 1.5 scoops vanilla vegan protein powder
- 1/2 cup oats (replace with Almond Flour for celiacs)
- 3 tablespoons raw cacao powder
- 3 tablespoons natural crunchy peanut butter (any nut butter will work)
- 2 tablespoons chia seeds
- 3 tablespoons coconut oil, melted
- 3 tablespoons rice malt syrup
- 1-3 tablespoons water (dependent on protein powder)
- Desiccated unsweetened coconut
- Matcha Green Tea powder
- Pulse oats in a food processor or nutribullet until a coarse flour.
- Mix all ingredients (except coconut and Matcha) well.
- Add water 1 tablespoon at a time as needed, just enough to bind the mixture together.
- Roll into balls and roll through coconut and matcha powder to coat.
- Refrigerate for about an hour until set.