A healthy paleo style loaf to tantalise your taste buds and keep your gut healthy. It’s packed with hidden veggies and free from gluten, grains, sugar and yeast. Great for anyone on restricted diets or specific diet protocols.
If you’re gluten intolerant (like me) or simply choose to limit both gluten and grains and eat a more Paleo/Primal style of diet, it can limit the variety of foods you cook with and eat. That variety is so important in our diet as not only does it ensure our body is getting a range of essential nutrients but it stops us from getting bored with food which can lead to unhealthy cravings and feelings of deprivation.
I had recently been having digestive upset and decided to follow a gut healing protocol for a period of time. The idea is to remove any food intolerance’s and gut irritants and focus on foods that help heal and strengthen your gut lining. I removed all gluten and grains (temporarily) and focused on plants, fiber, foods with prebiotics and probiotics, fermented foods, healthy fats, and protein. I drank bone broth daily, made and ate gut-healing gummies from gelatin (you can find the recipe on the blog – so yum!) and supplemented with Glutamine. I love food as medicine.
Without wanting to feel bored or deprived with food I started searching and recipe testing for gluten and grain free healthy alternatives and ways to incorporate the foods I needed in different and enjoyable ways.
Cue a gluten and grain free, high protein and healthy fat Paleo Veggie Loaf! Does it taste like bread? Well no, not exactly. It lacks the flour-like texture and taste of bread. But it does taste delicious and certainly cured my cravings! It works perfectly for breakfast as a bread substitute to top with your favourite toppings like eggs, or equally on its own as a healthy LCHF (low carb/high fat) protein snack. And what a way to sneak in extra veggies for your family, kids or fussy eaters!
Give it a go and tag me in your recipes on IG #foodhealthlife
Paleo Veggie Loaf
- 8 free range eggs
- 1 cup grated raw veg (I used carrot & zucchini. Pumpkin would be amazing too)
- 1/4 cup LSA (ground linseed, sunflower & almond)
- 1/4 cup coconut flour
- 1/4 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 cup mixed seeds (I used pumpkin seeds & pepitas) + extra for topping
- 1/2 cup melted grass-fed organic butter (use coconut oil or olive oil for dairy free)
- 1 tbs onion powder
- 1 tbs dried mixed herbs
- salt & pepper
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees celsius. Line a loaf tin with baking paper.
- Grate the veggies into a mixing bowl, add the seeds, onion powder, herbs, nutritional yeast, salt & pepper and leave aside.
- In a nutribullet or blender mix the eggs and butter on high until creamy and fluffy.
- Add the LSA, coconut flour and baking powder to the egg mix, and blend until combined.
- Pour the mix into the bowl with the other prepared ingredients and fold through until combined.
- Transfer into lined loaf tin and top with extra seeds.
- Bake in the oven for 40 minutes, or until golden brown and cooked through.
- Take out of the tin and baking paper and allow to cool on a cooling rack for 10 minutes before slicing.
Seriously how good is food!
♥ Tris xx